Things are changing at work and that seems to my life this week, that and logging onto Second Life shopping for my cottage or taking pictures and gaining new Flickr followers. But anyway back to work, we said goodbye to another Reservations agent who has moved into Sales. Because of this and being limited in agents taking phone calls, our boss has decided to put all of us on a rotating shift.
Which means for me I’ll be doing a week of 7am-3pm (eww!) I don’t mind to be honest, it will be a nice break from finishing at night and seeing sun by the time I get home, it only means that I will have early wake up calls such as 4:30am to get a bus on time into the city. We also did a massive training segment for the entire hotel, it has been ongoing since last week, I did mine today. Learnt a lot and it’s four principles could also assist me in living my life.
One single line spoke out to me and it was something that the great inventor Thomas Edison had said to his peers after countless of failed inventions, I didn’t know that the man behind the light bulb had failed over one thousand times before he achieved greatness and put his name into our history books.
“I don’t see it as failing one thousand times, I see it as succeeding” To me, it is interpreted as that despite how many times you fail in anything such as being a decent person or doing your job correctly, fixing a relationship, you have all these bumps on the road, all these hurdles but to not see them as negative but rather a positive effect to encourage you to keep trying until you succeed. This resonated and stayed in my head and something I will apply to myself in everything that I do.
Let’s see if I can post my usual five, since this week it has been very quiet for me on the social front, I didn’t even go out with Mei on the weekend, I think we’re waiting until the new Mission Impossible comes out, her second boyfriend Henry Cavill is in it 😛
- Hanging out with the boofhead this past Friday/Saturday, it was nice to chill out online
- My boss said I should get a smaller uniform, I apparently have shrunk again -squee-!
- Addicted to watching novelty soaps being made on the channel Royalty Soaps via Youtube >.>
- Tiny bit of shopping last Sunday, I got more jeggings (jeans/leggings) and this cute polka dot sweater
- Massive catch up with my girls who work at Kitten D’amour, I haven’t seen them in a month, so nice to see both of them ❤
Work has resumed as normal after New years day and I’m starting to pick up my own rhythm and confidence with every passing day. My assistant manager no longer needs to correct me on how I say things in calls to our guests and I don’t have to keep referring to my notes or the spreadsheets. My giant memory is once again becoming an asset in remembering the small details of a fast pace job. Don’t get me wrong though, I am living for these quick days where before I know it, it is already Friday afternoon.
My team of 8 including my two managers are amazing and hilarious but a supportive unit, if we need assistance in clearing out the email inbox or reducing reservation reviews, two of us will jump straight into it and power through. But while we all work, we also crack up random jokes, a couple of my team members break into a song or there is the standard share of delicious sweets to keep the energy flowing by the afternoon.
The past two week’s five likes;
- Boyfriend is here in 40 days! Two weeks I will have my Brad with me ❤ I can’t believe it is so soon!
- Watched Green Days’s American Idiot musical yesterday with mum at the Opera house, we got a little bit dressed up. I finally got to wear my pink polka dot dress from Kitten D’amour. The show was highly emotional and intense but the music still had me singing since it is from GD’s album.
- Saturday night at Regent place with the bestie Mei, we had not seen each other since New years eve, so it was nice to catch up with her while also discussing what to wear for my upcoming 30th birthday next month, omg!
- Miraculous has returned and graced our digital screens this past Sunday, Season 2 keeps surpassing the fandom’s expectations and it’s a nice fan base where no one is nitpicking or ranting about certain couples…unlike some other fandoms lately.
- Cadbury mini eggs are back in the supermarket! And the small packets are $1 each, I know I told myself less sugar…so I bought one box a day (the box is the length of my thumb..)
After 4.5 years of highs and lows with plenty of memories that were made, I said goodbye to the Novotel this afternoon, though I am returning to the hotel tomorrow to return my uniforms and badges, I officially signed off today. I got spoiled with gifts and plenty of hugs shared around.
I have seen the hotel change brands and my Front office team have plenty of changes itself in either procedures, staff and even the uniforms that we wear, we have thrived through all outcomes and become a much stronger team as a whole. This post will feature some of my favourite moments during my years at the hotel.
- The school formals, though I am working the PM shift hearing the loud music and seeing the outfits of the girls that come in, it is always a fun night to experience
- My birthday card last year was signed by a couple of my VIP loyalty guests. We always give them the special treatment but on that day, they gave it to me
- Going out to the movies with all my front office colleagues, it is so rare you have all of us together in one room. When we had the opportunity to promote the film linked to the Novotel brand, it was always a fun afternoon.
- Melbourne Cup last year, I got to frock up and not wear my uniform for the races while working
- Three emails from different guests of mine that was sent to my big CEO of Asia Pacific region, those warm fuzzy feelings
- Meeting the CEO himself when he came to the hotel this month, I was in awe!
- Learning to drive the hotel shuttle bus, it got me closer to the guests especially a group of fun-loving, happy nuns!
- My regular guests and VIPs, I will miss my colleagues but I will miss the familiar faces I see daily who checked in with me
I will start at the new property and new brand but still Accor in six days time, I am grateful that I am given this time off in between, it gives time to rest, relax and prepare for the change of scene starting next Monday!