I have not posted anything new in two weeks, I’m so sorry to those who truly decide to read my ramblings on my blog. I have been occupied whether in reading, writing my own stories or socialising beyond the laptop. I have also been working and exercising up a storm since I last posted about my newly diagnosed medical condition.
My birthday month of February has been blasting its way through and though it may feel like a whirlwind at times, I am still finding daily positive thoughts and fun experiences that are stored in the deep recess of my mind.
Also for the past two weeks I have been battling some combination of a cold and excessive cough. The doctors don’t know what it is, I have been giving antibiotics and now a ventolin to remedy the dry cough but the problem is, if I talk too much or I do my exercise it leaves me with a tight throat and coughing for air. Now everyone knows with my job, I have to be on the phone from 9am to 5pm because I’m in Reservations but this cough is preventing me from doing my job efficiently.
It is frustrating beyond belief and I wish it would end already or the doctor I goes to can confirm what it is than just guessing and giving me short term solutions.
Sharing my five likes over the course of the two weeks;
- A court of thorns and roses by Sarah Maas, the trilogy is addictive as hell! I went through Book 1 and 2 within 3 days and only stopped myself from continuing with the third book because I found myself not doing anything else other than reading
- I am now 80 kilos after starting with 86, 4 weeks ago 😀
- Went to one of my high school girlfriend’s engagement party last weekend, another one is tying the knot!
- 3 days until Brad is here on the same day of my 30th birthday party
- Kitten D’amour’s VIP party last night, I did not buy anything but it was fun to socialise with the other VIP ladies
This past weekend I was given a massive wake up call, in the form of the blood tests that I had last week. After the results came through and I got them looked at on Saturday, I was informed that I am insulin resistant and pre-diabetic. It wasn’t until yesterday when I went to the doctors again that I was told I have PCOS. I know I consumed a lot of sweets/sugar in the past decade of my life but it has finally decided to rear in the consequences and ugly truth.
Now since Saturday I have had a total turnaround of my lifestyle and diet, I have been exercising every day whether going for walks with mum or going to my local pool. I have said no to all chocolate, candy and cakes, I even told my boss at work because we normally have chocolate shared around when we get super busy.
Needless to say the weight I have gained since I was 21 will drop but my body is still crying for sugar. Mum told me it will take 10 days for the cravings to stop, this is day 4…I am sincerely hoping.
Right now my mood is a mixture of “I don’t want to get operated on” to “I hope I can still eat all my delicious food, once I’m in the all clear” Friends and family who know me very well, know I am a huge food lover…so we’ll see what happens in a month or so.
The past week’s five likes were a struggle for me to pull together;
- Only four days of work this week, Australia Day means long weekend for me!
- Exercising every day now, that is huge considering I was so inactive beforehand
- Watched The Last Jedi again (third time) with my mum last Sunday, she loved the movie too
- I am reading Ready Player One again on the bus to and from work, such a good book!
- Discovered composer Ivan Torrent through Youtube, woww his music is amazing 😮
Work has resumed as normal after New years day and I’m starting to pick up my own rhythm and confidence with every passing day. My assistant manager no longer needs to correct me on how I say things in calls to our guests and I don’t have to keep referring to my notes or the spreadsheets. My giant memory is once again becoming an asset in remembering the small details of a fast pace job. Don’t get me wrong though, I am living for these quick days where before I know it, it is already Friday afternoon.
My team of 8 including my two managers are amazing and hilarious but a supportive unit, if we need assistance in clearing out the email inbox or reducing reservation reviews, two of us will jump straight into it and power through. But while we all work, we also crack up random jokes, a couple of my team members break into a song or there is the standard share of delicious sweets to keep the energy flowing by the afternoon.
The past two week’s five likes;
- Boyfriend is here in 40 days! Two weeks I will have my Brad with me ❤ I can’t believe it is so soon!
- Watched Green Days’s American Idiot musical yesterday with mum at the Opera house, we got a little bit dressed up. I finally got to wear my pink polka dot dress from Kitten D’amour. The show was highly emotional and intense but the music still had me singing since it is from GD’s album.
- Saturday night at Regent place with the bestie Mei, we had not seen each other since New years eve, so it was nice to catch up with her while also discussing what to wear for my upcoming 30th birthday next month, omg!
- Miraculous has returned and graced our digital screens this past Sunday, Season 2 keeps surpassing the fandom’s expectations and it’s a nice fan base where no one is nitpicking or ranting about certain couples…unlike some other fandoms lately.
- Cadbury mini eggs are back in the supermarket! And the small packets are $1 each, I know I told myself less sugar…so I bought one box a day (the box is the length of my thumb..)
Another year has finished its orbit around the sun and making its way for a fruitful 2018 (I hope and am very optimistic) I figured with this being my final 2017 diary entry, I will share my highlights of the years in the format of my five likes as well as the resolutions that I have laid out for myself and hoping I have enough motivation to follow through with some of them. I have been blessed with 2017, it started off slow and mundane but as the months passed it snowballed into something truly amazing that has me looking forward and anticipating on what is to come.
This year’s highlights that I can easily put on the top of my list of memories;
- Europe trip! Meeting my boyfriend Brad for the first time especially who is also going to be coming here end of February for 2 weeks and meeting my sister and the rest of the family
- Landing the reservation job at Sofitel, I moved up to a five star luxury brand and 3 weeks in and I’m still loving it!
- Year of fantastic film and tv series- Shadowhunters season 2, Miraculous, Stranger Things 1 and 2, Wonder Woman, Thor: Ragnarok, The Last Jedi just to name a couple of my favourites
- Canberra run in April with mum and Blackmore bridge run in September, who would have thought I’d do walks/runs for charity while enjoying it too
- My flickr of Second Life photos capped 1,000 followers earlier this year
I’ve had many memories and fun times that is why I share a weekly recap including positve thoughts of the week that keep the experiences alive and I can look back on them fondly. Now with a new year approaching, I had to list realistic resolutions for myself. Not exactly five though.
- Lose weight! I have jumped up to a size 16, that is scary! Considering I used to be a 12 years ago, my boyfriend is also losing weight for my sister’s wedding in March so I gotta drop the kilos, a couple at least by then
- Save money– Since Europe I have been idly saving up my money and mostly spending. Mum has been offering to do a budget for me, I might need to think that one over if I wish to continue travelling.
- Lessen the chocolate, it’s amazing that I am not diabetic considering the amount of sugar I eat daily. That needs to go too
- Continue being my happy self– it is because I am true to myself and everyone around me whether friends, family or work that I am my best self and it helps others who are feeling not so positive.
Four resolutions, that’s achievable right? Well this is me signing off for the year. See you all in my next post in 2018!
I had forgotten how fun family parties can be when you are there for the entire evening and not rocking up at the last minute like I was doing for the past seven years. My four day weekend is coming to an end and it has been amazing. 3/4 days were parties with either side of my parents families and I experienced my first ‘boodle’ which is where all the food is laid out along a table covered in banana leaves and you eat with your hands. It’s a Filo tradition. I couldn’t do it, well I did but not how the rest of my family could and I even attempted to use two skewers as chopsticks, that failed..
Christmas night was less eventful but by no means less fun, we played Articulate on the dining table. It’s a game where you have to describe the word on the card without saying it’s name and you’re under a timer. I realise that my trivia knowledge is quite limited and I do not know the world as much as I thought I did.
I binge watched Stranger Things in two days (thank you Netflix!) and I will not watch that show again at night, didn’t realise it also has quite a few spooky creatures that had me fast forwarding those particular scenes. I adore Mike and Eleven, they are so young and pure but adorable as a couple! The conspiracy theories behind the town of Hawkins had me thinking a lot but it was a good series and I’ll be one of those fans eagerly waiting for Season 3.
Boxing Day (today) I avoided the shops until the afternoon and instead spending my evening listening to my music on Itunes and browsing tumblr and writing a segment into one of my four main stories that I have saved on my laptop. I also revamped my tumblr layout, it needed a change after so long. Back to work tomorrow but it is only for 3 days then I got another 3 days off because of New Years day, yayy for working hotel reservations!
It is stinking hot! I mean I should expect this from an Australian summer but literally soon as December 1st arrived, the season decided “oh yes, it’s no longer Spring let’s crank up the degrees past 35 celsius!” My family and I have been going to bed with the air-conditioner turned on until 2am when it’s finally cooled down. Meanwhile my boyfriend is dealing with a heap of snow and minus temperatures up in London (lucky)
I apologise for the six day gap since my last post that I shared in relation to my photos on Second Life, my weekends haven’t been like my usual days of being at home and writing/blogging or short outings to the shops. My social life has been making a massive turn and I been going out for dinners for long periods of time. Not that I mind this change, I’m enjoying that I can get back in touch with a lot of old friends and my family especially.
The past two week’s five likes;
- The Last Jedi!!! Saw it last night on my own in my local cinema, glad I had no one next to me I was squealing quietly…a lot and so much plot twists but it was AWESOMEEE!
- Reservation Christmas Dinner last Friday, soo I didn’t realise Long island iced tea was so delicious especially when it’s given complimentary and in a punch bowl! Plus lots of laughs with my new team 😀
- Christmas dinner with the high school girls, I got heckled over information about the boyfriend and my new job. Jamie’s Italian restaurant is delicious especially their gelato. Brought back nostalgic feelings of Italy.
- I love my new job! Reservations in a French luxury hotel suits me to a tee 😛
- Doughnut Time’s ‘Slim shady’ which is basically a glazed donut dotted in mini M&M’s, that sweet is a weakness of mine! Especially with Thursday night shopping in the city.
Overall it has been a good past two weeks and this week is shaping up to be great too, Christmas at the end of the week and I can be there with the family completely without shift work breaking my hours with them.
It is tomorrow! I have never been so organised in my life! I have my corporate outfit for the induction day all set including accessories and how to do my hair and make-up, I also got my bags packed complete with new notebook to write down what I need to know, I am re-using my Prada bag that was given to me from my bestie Mei because working in a five star hotel means you gotta up the style and oppulence (in my opinion anyway).
This weekend has been full of fun and today is my rest day before starting the new chapter in my life tomorrow, two of the events that happened this weekend will be listed in the below five likes;
- Honey’s farewell in the city, I haven’t been to a club in so long but it was a lot to go dancing and reunite with her though her new job and mine are in the same area! We can still do catch ups
- Six days off have been a nice mini break between jobs, gave me time to prepare and relax
- My sister’s bridal shower in the form of a kitchen tea yesterday afternoon, wind and rain did not stop us ladies from all having a good time, but OMG so much leftovers!
- Boyfriend has booked his flight to come here next year! I am so ready ❤
- Infinity war trailer!! That looks so badass, can’t wait for it come out next year in May 😀
Overall it has been a fun week and though I have been severely delayed in sharing this diary entry, usually its every Monday (whoops) I am optimistic on this final month of 2017 and 2018 is already looking so bright for me.
After 4.5 years of highs and lows with plenty of memories that were made, I said goodbye to the Novotel this afternoon, though I am returning to the hotel tomorrow to return my uniforms and badges, I officially signed off today. I got spoiled with gifts and plenty of hugs shared around.
I have seen the hotel change brands and my Front office team have plenty of changes itself in either procedures, staff and even the uniforms that we wear, we have thrived through all outcomes and become a much stronger team as a whole. This post will feature some of my favourite moments during my years at the hotel.
- The school formals, though I am working the PM shift hearing the loud music and seeing the outfits of the girls that come in, it is always a fun night to experience
- My birthday card last year was signed by a couple of my VIP loyalty guests. We always give them the special treatment but on that day, they gave it to me
- Going out to the movies with all my front office colleagues, it is so rare you have all of us together in one room. When we had the opportunity to promote the film linked to the Novotel brand, it was always a fun afternoon.
- Melbourne Cup last year, I got to frock up and not wear my uniform for the races while working
- Three emails from different guests of mine that was sent to my big CEO of Asia Pacific region, those warm fuzzy feelings
- Meeting the CEO himself when he came to the hotel this month, I was in awe!
- Learning to drive the hotel shuttle bus, it got me closer to the guests especially a group of fun-loving, happy nuns!
- My regular guests and VIPs, I will miss my colleagues but I will miss the familiar faces I see daily who checked in with me
I will start at the new property and new brand but still Accor in six days time, I am grateful that I am given this time off in between, it gives time to rest, relax and prepare for the change of scene starting next Monday!
I am in the last week at Novotel! It’s so weird that it has finally arrived, my countdown calendar no longer has twenty days on it, it has 5 days to go! Oh gosh and so much is happening all at once though I’m barely working this week, I have two days of morning then days off then another two days of morning. It is all happening so fast, I have already arranged my annual leave for next year including around the time of my sister’s wedding and when the boyfriend visits 😀
I’m grateful that I’m also given some time off in between the jobs, six days to be exact so I can find temporary corporate clothes to wear until the uniforms are ready and I won’t have to worry what to wear in the morning before I take the bus into the city. Posting the following five likes for this week;
- Mum is back from New Zealand! We picked her up from the airport this evening
- Justice League this past weekend was amazing! I don’t care what the masses say, Mei and I loved it!
- Writing up a storm still, so glad my imagination at its peak has returned
- Supre has upped their game when it comes to clothes, their Ice-cream Kween line is soo cute
- Used my Kitten d’amour voucher, got a cute necklace from their Vintage Rose line
I am counting down to a couple of things this month actually, its all positive and its all so exciting. First up I only have nineteen days to go at my current job as a guest service agent before I will be moving into the new, five star hotel in the city. It is located in the same area where I got into the hotel industry, seven years ago so I cannot wait! There are also a couple of other things that are happening but they will be listed in my weekly five likes.
The only thing that I can be sad about this week is the fact I had a day off on Melbourne cup day, my mum doesn’t like it because of her love for horses and conscience to animals but I am upset because at work, we do a big event every year that hosts over 250 people who book with our events department, have lunch and bet on the winning horse. It also means that Front desk can dress up in fancy wear and fascinators for the day, basically no uniform. I was working AM shift last year when we had the event and I got to wear one of my vintage dresses from Kitten D’amour.
Sadly this year’s Melbourne cup fell upon one of my days off, but even though I could not be dressed up for it, I still had positives for my weekend. The five likes for this week are;
- Booked Justice League to watch with Mei in two weeks, can’t wait!
- My grandma on my dad’s side has returned to Australia from the Philippines! I got to see her today 😀 She remembered me despite being 93 years old
- Men in Black trilogy marathon on Netflix, yes I am listing this as a positive thought because it brings back warm nostalgia of the 90s
- Double choc chip cookies from my local supermarket
- Boyfriend is booking his flight to Australia for next year in two weeks!
I do five likes every week because with all the negativity in the world and people who threaten to pop your rosy bubble of happiness, finding joy in the little things has been a recommended idea by many of people, socialites, friendship circles and psychologists alike. It is no way meant to be means to boast about great your life is but more finding the better things that make you smile and push through a week until you are fresh for the next.
This week has been uneventful at work, we have a group of nuns staying with us at the moment so our hotel is feeling incredibly holy and full of energy because of their presence, they aren’t your typical nuns either (enjoy a good game of football while drinking beer or wine). I have had the pleasure of dropping them off in our hotel shuttle bus to and from the destination, I have gotten confidence in driving our vehicle which has been great.
- High Tea at La Florisan with Mei this Monday public holiday, can’t wait!
- Cadbury coated Oreos, they made it an official biscuit down under 😀
- My Beauty and the Beast Enchanted rose bluetooth speaker arrived, its so pretty
- My Gryffindor nightgown from Peter Alexander #Housepride
- Our internet has been bumped to 5g because of the newly installed NBN
It has been a whirlwind of a week since I have returned to work but I am thankful for the past couple of days and everything is still in a very positive light for myself and my family. I’ve had some big news occur recently and they will be published in the below positive thoughts, it goes to show for myself that if you put your heart into something you are guranteed to get it and even if you don’t, you keep trying until you get somewhere that is good for yourself.
My creativity boost from before the holidays is still going and I have been multi-tasking between three of my original stories, I used to write more than ten and have notes for many more before I got into roleplay on IMVU, ten years ago. I’m glad it hasn’t left me completely and I don’t need a group of people to get a plot going. Below are the weekly five likes;
- I got the job! Since before my Europe holiday I have been applying at other Accor properties in a different department. This morning I got woken up to join the new hotel opening in the city, it is a five star property. I won’t be starting until January next year but OMG I got the job!
- I walked/jogged the Blackmore bridge run this past weekend in the city, I beat my record that I did at the 10km run in Canberra in April of this year 😀
- Family lunch this past Monday, mum, sister and I all had days off after the big run and my sister suggested that we all go out for lunch, we went to Hog’s breath cafe at Towers. I had a chicken Caesar wrap with sweet potato wedges.
- Hoping to catch up with my bestie Mei this upcoming Sunday, I haven’t seen her since before the holiday and I know we need to brainstorm our creative ideas and give presents to her.
- Barbie finally released a new film! It is on American Netflix, I am just waiting for it to be released down under
We landed at 6:18am two days ago in Sydney International airport after a 13hr flight from Dubai, the trip back home wasn’t too bad despite the high turbulence that occured somewhere south of India and heading towards Western Australia. I had about four hours sleep and unfortunately parents did not sleep at all, they are quite sensitive to movement. Our chauffeur dropped us home and I got bombarded by my sister while she was filming us on her Snap chat app.
Parents slept for majority of the morning but not me, I unpacked, got my hair washed by my hairdressers while relaying the details of my month holiday and left a voice mail to the HR of Sofitel in the city. I really hope she calls me back and we can set up an interview, I really want to change direction into Reservations or back office. My boss had it down pat before she left us, she knew my strengths were technical and I have been facing guests for too long (seven years!)
Rather than give you all my five likes for the week, I’m going to give you the highlights of my holiday and break it down into detail.
- Florence/Firenze– The food, the Hotel Renaissance that we stayed in, the old buildings, there is something about this city that made me fall in love with it while we stayed there for 3 nights
- Sorrento– It was the optional addition to the Pompeii tour because we couldn’t go up to Mt Vesuvius but I did not mind relaxing by the water front with a milkshake after a busy day in the hot sun. It is so picturesque and gave me inspiration for Ame’s chronicles (written down in note form while away)
- Venice– All of it! It was no.2 on my bucket list since I was a kid. Regardless of how much walking we did, I loved seeing St Mark’s Square, drinking a mocktail at the Hard rock cafe, all the Venetian masks and leather bound, handmade journals and our hotel was amazing, my bed was in a seperate room to where the parents slept
- Lake Como– Mum’s old boss Camilla drove us all the way up to this grand lake from Milan for a day trip and we had dinner on the island of Bellagio, it was breathtaking especially at the top of the mountain, we rode a funicular and was given a gorgeous sight.
- Versailles– I love Marie Antoinette! So I had a very happy all day tour in the palace as well as checking out her estate, since I read her biography and watched the movie featuring Kirsten Dunst, I recognised a lot of the locations used, plus I bought Laduree merchandise, so cute macaron keychain and notepads.
- Disneyland Paris– I have now been to three Disneylands! I felt sorry for dad not sure if he enjoyed going there and probably would have preferred staying in the hotel but it was one of my happiest days on this holiday and I luckily didn’t go overboard with my shopping in the Emporium.
- The Cotswolds– A train ride up north and an early start but the personal tour: Secret Cottage with the tour guide Becky taking us to her home and having her daughter feed us morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea while visiting the old villages covered in flora and so much greenery! Considering that my lawn right now, the lands of England is so lush!
- Harry Potter studio tour– Mum and I left dad back in London and got a driver to take us to Leavesden studios where they filmed the Harry Potter studio, this day is up there with Disneyland and I did so much shopping afterwards! Including a pink pygmy puff that makes cute noises when you squeeze it. Any Potter fan should go here!
- Brad weekend– Two and a half days and finally meeting my other half, I wish we had more time together it so wasn’t long enough! I’m hoping he flies down under and we get more time together. We went to Camden Markets, Stratford Westfield and I met his best friend while he was in London- I miss him every day even though we still talk daily.