I’m attempting to stay up only to put up this post for what I learned today while at work. I had five hours sleep last night because I had loyalty program training this morning that went for 1.5hrs, then in the late arvo had to come back and still work the PM shift. I’m running on low fuel here, tomorrow is going to be Day 7 before I finally can have my weekend and relax. It is also my dad’s birthday on Sunday so we’ll be going out in the evening to celebrate.
But with the program and working tonight I checked in one of Accor Advantage Plus gold guests who is a veteran traveller (so jealous!) and was telling me about what Accor is all about from the guest point of view. He also told me that as an employee of the company I should enjoy all the benefits that they offer including checking out the Sofitel in Guangzhou, China. Now I didn’t know where this place was until my colleague and I googled it.
It is so going on my bucket list when I do my travelling and yes travelling is still on my to-do list other than just working all my damn life. I’m still young, haven’t capped 30 yet I should be out there and enjoying the world!
For once while eagerly waiting for the arrival of 100 Block, The Season’s Story and Chapter 4 to open (as well as Collabor88 for teleport) my mind is at this chilled mode with my pixels parked in her blogging chair.
But even in the quiet hours we either thank bad thoughts or get inspiration from the most random ideas that pop in our head and mine for tonight is coming from Strawberry’s Singh‘s meme for anyone to participate.
I’m not one to do memes on my blog, ok I take that back I have NEVER done one. But since Berry keeps encouraging all of us to do one of hers, I’m going to done today. She simply asked to write down five tips for the new people joining Second Life or “newbies”. I was quite lucky myself when I joined 9 months ago, I had four friends already on Second Life and veterans of the game. But for those who are here on their own- Here is my guide :D
1. Let’s start at the very beginning~ Linden Labs placed you there for a reason. If you have no friends to guide you the steps in those learning areas are useful it helped me when friends were in reality or asleep. If still confused then…
2. Good morning, good morning to you* Ask someone with experience for help, they usually have the group title above their head of helper, recruiter, guide soo go ask them to your hearts content. Or even asking other people present, MOST veterans are approachable and will help you in the basics.
3. I’m going on an adventure! As a woman who loves to travel in reality and in any game (Hullo Minecraft and World of Warcraft) I highly encourage that all newcomers click on Destinations tab or even go by ‘search’ to find the most amazing and dazzling sims in world. Even now 9 months in being on Second Life and I still come across beautiful places thanks to bloggers I follow and Flickr pics.
4. I’d like an Introduction… Log into the Second Life main page and go to my.secondlife.com, as human beings we are nosey animals that peek into anything that looks interesting. Spruce up your profile because trust me people will read it!
5. If you can’t do it, don’t do it at all; Before quickly jumping on the bandwagon and deciding what viewer to use I suggest that you become an expert in the default viewer and know how to do all the shortcuts, mastering how to function in world before joining the big kids. I downloaded Firestorm and I don’t like it (no offense to people who use it) and I can never adjust to it, so I’m STILL on default, don’t laugh at me >:L
* Side Note: Each of the headings for my top 5 are lyrics or quotes from various movies. First point: “Do Re Me” sung by Julie Andrews; Sound of Music film. Second point: “Good morning” sung by Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O’Connor; Singing in the Rain film. Third point: Said by young Bilbo Baggins in the first Hobbit film. Fourth point: Said by Dame Devin in Barbie in Princess Charm School animated film. Fifth point: Said by Alan Quarterman (Sean Connery) to Tom Sawyer (Shane West) in League of Extraordinary Gentleman film.